Genesis2D - Game Development Community Support Forums

Credits and Thank You's!

Devo

Credits and Thank You's!
« on: September 10, 2015, 11:54:19 PM »
Who are we ( a brief story of G2D)

My name is Geoff (just say it like 'Jeff' .. it's not hard.. :p ) and I am the driver of this sometimes unconventional bus ride called Genesis2D.

I'm now 38 (arghhh... that sounds old..) I live in Australia with my wife and 2 daughters and a cat, we are currently on a large farm. (yes we have alot of Kangaroos, especially at my place.. (I mean alot.. as in watch out when you drive...) and while I'm not especially patriotic, it's a pretty nice country to live in, most of the time anyway.

I have worked in the TV industry, IT, Sales and currently am a photocopier technician (which is actually a pretty interesting job, it keeps your brain ticking) and have a big love for Graphic design , 3D printing, robotics, modelling,  guitar ,RC hobbies and all the other stuff we men like to generally do.

I started an engine called Iguana 2D back in 2008 when I got tired of MMORPG's constantly changing their combat systems to cater for the stupid... so I thought Enough! I want to control the mechanics.. but I need to make my own game to do that... which means I need an engine... Which led me down the path of hunting for a source code, and that led me to mirage, and a small engine called the Chaos Engine.

A long story short, Xaden who was the coder/owner for the Chaos Engine ended up joining G2D and also with him came some people from his site, most importantly MutantX and EdtheHobo who were pretty much instrumental in converting the simple tiny source we had into the mammoth that is G2D.

So while this might be new to alot of you, really, it has been now almost 7 years for us!

I get asked probably this question the most frequently.. "Why is G2D still programmed in VB6?"

Well, it's very simple. I like it. No fancy excuses. I just like it.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Some of you might remember if you are my age or older, but you have to imagine growing up without the internet. Yes, believe it or not kids, there once was a time in where there was nothing to connect to that wasn't limited to how many modem connections your board could handle. We programmed in old languages like Fortran, Pascal, and the old classic Basic, GW Basic, Quick Basic.. and the evolution went on. We didn't have flashy graphics. We had text based CGA monitors.. EGA, VGA etc... if only you knew the pain we had to go through to get what we have today. I sit in front of a 4K 40" monitor and still think back to my 14" Thompson EGA monitor which was the last time I loved a monitor so much... (4K is just mind blowing..) anyway... getting sidetracked..

While everyone around me went onto Java and C++ I started to mess with Visual basic and see how far you could actually push it, and it turns out you can push it pretty damned far. Sure, we ran into limitations, but eventually.. usually found a way around it.. or across it... (or under it sometimes... )

Anyway, that's pretty much how it all started. Currently the team consists of myself and emergency help from MutantX, so yes, it can be daunting trying to do it all yourself sometimes but If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be doing it. I'll be playing games until the day I die, and will most like be buried in a gigantic Sega Master system coffin  :P

Besides the talented programmers that have helped, the people, you .. if not for you guys we wouldn't even be here now.

A big Thank You to the people below:

Special Mentions:

Darryl_Holmes (x 3 donations )
Puppet (x Donations)
Shadefox (x 3 donations!)   
TaintedX (x 3 donations!)   
Ambard (x3 donations)
Tyfricko (Xell) (x 2 donations!)   
DBGrultz x 2 Donations!
Shadefox x 2 Donations!
Chronous (enough for about 10 donations..)
Tygar (x2 donations)
Muty x (Countless Donations)
Mayple x( 2 Donations)
mikewal (x2 Donations)

In alphabetical order, here are all the Donators:

Adrax   
Ambard
Blazendoge
Bobby5589
Bullseye
Callos   
Chronous